Robot Builds Me

Alumni - 1986

(11/4/2013)

View details »

Member - 1710

(4/18/2012)

Being on a FIRST robotics team has taught me how to work under time restraints, cooperate with other people, and has given me an extreme sense of dedication to both the people on our team and the team itself. To be part of a team that writes Chairman’s, that “Oh My Goodness It’s Crunch Time!” feeling sneaks up on you. Having to write with deadlines was very hard, but eventually became a part of the daily FIRST robotics life. Our team is fairly large, but we all work together seamlessly to try and ge...

View details »

Member - 1710

(4/18/2012)

I joined team 1710 Ravonics Revolution when I was a freshman. I joined the programming team and was one of three in that field. My mentors Cyrus and Jessie taught me how to program and problem solve my way through tasks and challenges. I started out just watching and filling my head with the process of programming and the basics. After about a week of learning and absorbing I was tasked with  programming a simple tank drive. now with what I had learned that was simple as the name tells, but after that I was tasked wit...

View details »

Member - 1710

(4/18/2012)

My neighbor was on the robotics team when I was in 7th grade. I went to a regional competition and thought it looked like fun. I joined the team for the first time as a freshman. This is my second year on the team. Being on the team has helped me make a lot of new friends and has been much better than I ever thought it would be.

View details »

Member - 1710

(4/18/2012)

FIRST taught me that I don’t have to fit into any pre-made slot. I can me as versatile as I want to be. As the only female on the animation I have to work with all guys opinions and sometimes making them listen to my ideas and not just set stuff on fire is hard, but in the end it’s what we make together that truly awesome. Also as an animator we kind of run out of pre-set things to do immediately after regionals but we don’t just stop coming after that. We split up and go hunt up other jobs that we can he...

View details »

Member - 1710

(4/18/2012)

FIRST Robotics is a program that teaches people many important life skills. Team members learn how to manage time, as they balance schoolwork, FIRST, and possibly jobs. FIRST teaches people skills that they may use later in their careers. As my first year in the program, I am on the mechanical team for our team. I learned many things I never would have known otherwise. FIRST taught me other things than how to put together parts of a robot. It taught me how to manage my time, and also taught me to be graciously professional...

View details »

Member - 1710

(4/18/2012)

Through the two years I have been a part of FIRST team 1710, I have learned a lot about working with others to achieve something greater than what I can do alone. I have become more outgoing and confident in what I do. Because of FIRST I have gained valuable skills in the CAD and Mechanical aspects of the team.

View details »

Member - 1710

(4/18/2012)

My first-year experience with FIRST has been a life-changing event for me. I never knew about this whole community behind FIRST before witnessing Team 1710, and I’m amazed at what the FIRST community has helped me accomplish. Working with others has definitely helped me build people management skills, along with other soft skills that will benefit me in the long run. It has really allowed me to open myself up and speak up, and shows me how much people can cooperate to make the world a better place. FIRST has also tau...

View details »

Member - 1710

(4/18/2012)

Before FIRST Robotics I have absolutely no idea what I was going to do after I graduated high school. But I “joined” the team far before I became a student at Olathe Northwest Senior High. In the seventh grade I went to the Kansas City regional to watch my brother’s robotics team beat the other teams. But instead I witnessed something far more entertaining, a special in which their goal was not to win but instead learn and have fun. People were jumping and cheering for other teams and everyone was going c...

View details »

Member - 1710

(4/18/2012)

This is my first year on team 1710, as a freshman. I’m new to the idea of FIRST. On the team I do web design while using Photoshop and Illustrator. On the Graphics part of the team we’ve created posters, coloring books, and buttons to hand out at competition. I enjoy FIRST and i’m looking forward to being with team 1710 for upcoming years.

View details »

Coach - 1764

(4/17/2012)

As a head coach of a team in our 7th season of FIRST Robotics, I find it very interesting to reflect on the previous seasons and how my involvement with the robots has built me into a better person.  I guess it was my belief, prior to becoming the head coach of my original team that society thrived on competition in its most extreme form.  This was evidenced by countless news broadcasts of irate parents screaming or becoming violent at their kids’ little league sports games.  What kind of message would...

View details »

Member - 1764

(4/17/2012)

My idea of competition before FIRST was finding the biggest player on the other team and try to make them run home crying.  I had been bitten, scratched, punched, body slammed, and elbowed multiple times in the name of basketball, but in my sophomore year of high school I quit.  I wanted to focus more on my school work and join the school’s robotics team.

View details »

Member - 399

(4/17/2012)

When I was young, I had no clue what I wanted to be, what career I would choose, or how I could have a successful future. Joining an FRC team was the best thing I could do. People talk about how students have 6 weeks to build the robot, when in reality; the robot has a lifetime to build the students. Being on team 399 has showed me how to work in engineering, how to work as a team, and how to deal with real-world problems. I now am prepared for college, what I desire my career to be, and I have made many friends along the ...

View details »

Member - 1691

(4/17/2012)

For me FIRST has been more than a club; it’s a big part of who I am and who I will be. Before FIRST I was an emotional wreck with no direction in life. When I joined as a Freshman I was quiet and shy and spent most of my time watching. The people in our robotics club became my first friends in a long time and broke me out of my shell. By sophomore year I was happier with myself and more active in school. Now, I’m the president of the team, self-confident and determined to turn the experience I’ve earned i...

View details »

Member - 159

(4/17/2012)

FIRST has changed my life by teaching me, through first-hand experience, what it truly means to be a part of something. Learning this is an invaluable lesson that will serve me in all aspects of my life, even if it doesn’t involve STEM.

View details »

Member - 2341

(4/17/2012)

Through FIRST I have learned to be a leader on the team and in school. Now that I am the team Captain I have taught others to be leaders and have also taught them about gracious professionalism and other key points in FIRST. I have also gained so many friends through FIRST. FIRST has influenced so much of my life. When I get out of high school I plan on volunteering at the competitions and being a mentor for several teams.

View details »

Member - 2996

(4/17/2012)

Before my freshman year, I didn’t know much about robots, only that they were probably smarter than me. Although FIRST gave me the opportunity to become familiar with robotics, FIRST taught me more than how to use power tools. Somehow in the midst of competition, I learned vital skills that would assist me in the pursuit of my passion. I learned how to present to sponsors, how to share my experiences with others, and how to work with other people. During my freshman year, FIRST was a humbling experience for me, but I...

View details »

Member - 1764

(4/17/2012)

As a freshman in high school, I joined FIRST Team 1764 with an innate fear of power tools. Two years later, I find myself as the Chief Operations Officer who not only happily uses them, but instructs others in how to use them properly as well. This example is small, but it is symbolic of how much I have grown, learned, and changed since I originally joined the FRC program. Not only have I developed valuable practical skills in the shop through the FIRST Robotics Competition program, but I have garnered invaluable ski...

View details »

Member - 2945

(4/17/2012)

Robotics has helped express and show my abilities in the fields of electronics and programming. It has been a wonderful experience and given me many new friends. Everyone should experience FRC.

View details »

Member - 1764

(4/17/2012)

Before I was involved in FIRST I would do the same thing every day, go to school, come home do homework, and go to bed.  But in 8th grade I decided to take a chance and go to a FIRST Lego League meeting.  That turned into being one of the best decisions I ever made.  Mr. Storehalder got me involved and I quickly saw myself emerge as a leader in all areas.  I no longer just went to school; I came in early and stayed late to work on the robot.  The next year I was the informal leader of the gro...

View details »

Parent - 1764

(4/10/2012)

As a parent, you hope your child will begin to discover who they are during high school.  You pray that God surrounds them with good people and positive experiences.  Kids become involved with sports, band, drama, speech, and scholar teams.  But what about the other kids that are just as talented with their hands and minds?  My son became part of the FIRST team 1764 as a freshman at Liberty High School.  He has grown in so many ways over these last four years.  As a senior this year, he ...

View details »

Mentor - 1764

(4/8/2012)

For the last three seasons, I have mentored with team 1764, and it has been a most rewarding experience. It’s been my pleasure to work with the best and the brightest young folks of their generation as they’ve developed and demonstrated remarkable skills in planning, constructing, testing and competing with their robots. I’ve been continually surprised by the teams’ tenaciousness in overcoming problems. As a long time participant in the sometimes stodgy and design-by-committee corporate world, it is really refreshing ...

View details »

Other - 1764

(4/5/2012)

FIRST Robotics was a great time for me, especially being a part of Team 1764, the Dirty Gears.  The environment created by FIRST was something unlike any other competitive activity I’ve ever known.  The spirit during competitions was a force to be reckoned with.  Enthusiasm, helpfulness, and excitement were in abundance.  The different thing about FIRST is that these feelings were not only directed to Team 1764 from Team 1764, but also from Team 1764 to everybody, and visa-versa.  The spirit of gracious profess...

View details »

Coach - 1764

(4/3/2012)

As the growth and proliferation of technology continues in our society, programs such as FIRST give students an invaluable set of tools for succeeding in the future.  From my perspective, FIRST brings a multi-dimensional approach to technology education, it helps to show that many disciplines can such as entrepreneurship, media & graphic design, video & animation production, public relations can work together for a common goal.  Our first team encourages students of different backgrounds and interests to join and contribute...

View details »