Robot Builds Me

1764
Liberty Robotics
Liberty, MO, USA
Member
4/17/2012

Before I was involved in FIRST I would do the same thing every day, go to school, come home do homework, and go to bed.  But in 8th grade I decided to take a chance and go to a FIRST Lego League meeting.  That turned into being one of the best decisions I ever made.  Mr. Storehalder got me involved and I quickly saw myself emerge as a leader in all areas.  I no longer just went to school; I came in early and stayed late to work on the robot.  The next year I was the informal leader of the group, I made decisions and was ultimately the one who decided what happened with the robot.  Outside of the robot, that year I also took it upon myself to do the entire project almost by myself.  I used Autodesk Inventor to create a solution the environmental problem given out that year.  We presented the project to the judges and found out later that we would have won the project competition if we had not already won an award with the robot.

My first experience with FIRST team 1764 was an overwhelming one, I walk into room 33 (home of FIRST 1764) and find it crowded wall to wall with people.  After the opening presentation, we were encouraged to stick around to get to know some of the systems the team used.  So I stuck around and got to see previous year’s robot, and the pneumatic system, and the electrical system all at the same time.  This sent me walking away with an overwhelming look upon my face, and almost caused me to walk away forever.  But with help from my dad I returned to the team and was welcomed back to learn how the team worked.

During the next four years I would work my way to become the Chief Executive Officer.  I now know all of the systems that had confused me on my first day, and know their applications to the world outside FRC.  I have learned how to run a business, and manage all aspects of the team including those outside of building the robot, and have made friends with some of the coolest people in the world.  I am forever thankful for Mr. Storehalder getting me involved with FIRST Lego League, and FIRST team 1764.  I can honestly say that FIRST changed my life.